Canon’s new firmware update for the Cinema EOS C70 will allow the camera to record 4K RAW footage internally at up to 59.94P (60 FPS if you’re cool) as well as adding a few other features, including recording XF-AVC proxies simultaneously.
The graphic above shows what resolutions you can record in Canon’s cinema RAW Light, I’ll avoid the redundancy of listing out all the different options, but the data rates are fairly reasonable for recording in both RAW ST and LT.
The above graphic shows the types of proxies available when simultaneously recording internal RAW. The graphic below shows what ISO/Gain settings are available when using internal RAW.
Internal raw on the C70 requires a reasonably fast SD card to keep up with the 4K RAW data rates (V90 is a must). TMS recommends the Delkin Devices 256GB BLACK V90 UHS-II SDXC Memory Card for the C70. Below you can see the recommended speed class of card for different video recording configurations.
Full Firmware Details
Firmware Version 220.127.116.11 incorporates the following fix and enhancements:
Adds support for the Cinema RAW Light recording modes
Resolution: 4096 x 2160, 2048 x 1080
Bit Depth: 12 bit
Frame rate: 59.94P, 50.00P, 29.97P, 23.98P, 25.00P, 24.00P
Adds [Frame Recording] modes
Adds [Interval Recording] modes
For further information, please refer to the latest version of the camera’s Instruction Manual that is released with the firmware update.
- Firmware version 18.104.22.168 is for updating EOS C70 cameras running firmware version 22.214.171.124 – 126.96.36.199. If your camera’s firmware is already version 188.8.131.52, it is not necessary to update the firmware. Once the camera is updated to the latest version, it cannot be restored to a previous version.
- Please refrain from loading menu settings generated using the most recent firmware version to a product running an old firmware version, as doing so may affect camera operations.
Preparations for a firmware update:
- Please use a commercially available SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card that is 512MB or greater to perform the firmware update.
- After the firmware update has been performed, the camera’s menu settings will be reset. It is recommended that, prior to starting update operations, users save their menu settings as settings data to an SD card, separate from the one that will be used to carry out the update, before starting update operations. This saved data can be loaded into the camera and the settings can be changed after the update has been completed. For further information on this, please refer to the section in the unit’s Instruction Manual titled “Saving and Loading Camera Settings.”
- The downloaded folder contains the firmware (file name: VQB3.FIR / file size: 62,578,240byte), and instructions on the firmware update procedures (a PDF file in five languages: Japanese, English, French, Spanish and Simplified Chinese). Before starting the firmware update operations, please be sure to carefully confirm your understanding of these instructions.
The following items are required to perform this firmware update:
- Camera Body EOS C70
- A computer (OS requirements: macOS 11, 10.15 – 10.12)
- SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card with a capacity of 512MB or more (commercially available)
- An SD card reader/writer (commercially available) or an SD card slot built into the computer
- A fully charged battery pack for the camera
- The firmware (the downloaded file)
You can download the new firmware here.