On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 Canon released Firmware Update Version 220.127.116.11.00 for the Canon EOS C300 Mark II Cinema Camera (EF and PL Mounts). The new update brings new features and improvements to Canon’s flagship 4K camera.
Firmware Version 18.104.22.168.00 incorporates the following:
Adds support for Canon Log 3. The Canon XF Utility software (bundled with the Canon C300 Mk II) must be updated to Version 3.1. If using Canon XF Utility 3.0 or earlier, gamma information will not be shown correctly in the metadata of clips filmed on the Canon Log3 Gamma setting.
Minimizes Canon Log 2 noise in darker areas.
Enables magnification to be used during recording. “Face detection and tracking” and live view display using Browser Remote will not function when magnification during recording is set.
The following features are enabled when these lenses are attached. The lens firmware must also be updated: CN7x17 KAS S/E1, CN-E18-80mm, T4.4 L IS KAS S or CN20x50 IAS H/E1.
- Enables autofocus using the Dual Pixel CMOS AF function. (Not applicable to the CN20x50 IAS H/E1 lens)
- Enables the joystick on the camera’s grip unit to operate the zoom (can be set in camera menu settings).
- Enables manual iris control, and control of focus, zoom and iris using the RC-V100 Remote Controller (sold separately).
- Enables automatic aperture and push auto iris.
- Enables retrieval of metadata, such as the model name and the focal distance of the lens attached.
Enables Dual Pixel Auto Focus Function when these lenses are attached: CN7x17 KAS S/E1 lens, CN-E18-80mm T4.4 L IS KAS S lens or any EF cinema prime lenses.
Adds peripheral illumination/chromatic aberration correction for the following lenses:
- COMPACT-SERVO lenses: CN-E18-80mm T4.4 L IS KAS S
- CINE-SERVO lenses: CN20x50 IAS H/E1
- EF lenses: EF35mm f/1.4L II USM, EF50mm f/1.8 STM and EFS18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM.
Enhances menu operations so that settings related to resolution/color sampling, etc. are retained as accurately as possible when switching recording settings.
Supports ACES proxy (ACES 1.0).
Mitigates black-‐dot phenomenon that appears in the periphery of high- brightness light sources.
FIRMWARE UPDATES CANNOT BE PERFORMED USING CFAST 2.0 CARDS. USE a SD/SDHC/SDXC MEMORY CARD WITH 64MB OR HIGHER CAPACITY.
Please note that once the C300 Mk II is updated to the latest firmware, it cannot be restored to a previous version.
The camera’s menu settings and Custom Picture setting will be reset once the firmware update has completed. Canon recommends saving your menu and custom picture settings to an SD card before performing the update (make sure the SD card is separate from the one you will use to perform the update). Once the update has been performed, the saved settings can be reloaded into the camera.
These items are required to perform the update:
1. Canon EOS C300 Mark II or EOS C300 Mark II PL Cinema Camera
2. A computer running Windows (10, 8.1, 8. 7 SP1) or Mac OS X (10.7-10.11)
3. SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card
4. SD Card Reader, or SD Card Slot on a computer
5. Fully charged battery for the camera
6. The Firmware Update folder (downloaded from the Canon website here)
The downloaded firmware folder contains the procedure manual for updating the firmware.
You can purchase the Canon C300 Mark II from Texas Media Systems today using the links below: